Friday, December 4, 2009

Best Trip of 2009

Okay, thanks to Gwen Bell's suggestion, I am participating in the Best of 2009 Blog Challenge. See http://www.gwenbell.com/blog/2009/11/30/the-best-of-2009-blog-challenge.html? for the daily prompts for blogging. I won't likely blog every day, but some of the topics are very appealing.

My best trip this year had to be driving to North Carolina from Illinois at the peak of Fall color. The bad news was the giant rock slide that completely blocked I-40 near N Caro. I took a two-lane detour instead of the recommended interstate version to enjoy the scenery.

Little did I know that I would lose a great deal of time following a car that braked for every single curve, and there were tons of curves going through the mountains. At one point, I was finally able to pass the car in a passing lane. As I rounded the next curve, I was smack behind a transit bus.

I busted out laughing and said, "Okay, God, I guess you want me to slow down & enjoy the scenery!" Once I made that decision, the rest of the trip was absolutely lovely. However, for the return trip, I decided to follow the interstate detour to save some time. #best09

1 comment:

A Different Opinion said...

Interesting - I had just returned to Indiana from South Carolina when the rock slide happened, so we were at neighboring states at the same time - returning to neighboring states.