Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Frantic About Fruit Flies?

Rachel Balducci had a nice post today about how to deal with those annoying fruit flies at http://tinyurl.com/neqr3s. Consider reading her whole post.

She has a great idea of using a jar with a cone-shaped paper (just like we use in our coffee maker!) to trap those annoying fruit flies inside a jar with a piece of very ripe fruit in the bottom. We are having such a wonderful abundance of yummy fruit this year, that the flies are woefully abundant as well. So I can hardly wait to try Rachel's suggestion - today!

I have had good luck with peaches to let them ripen inside a small brown paper sack (or bag, depending on your geographic region, as my daughter-in-law from California pointed out last week) folded closed at the top. At least that seems to keep the bugs out until they are just perfectly ripened.

We have been enjoying red raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, apricots, plums and even yellow plums. In fact, my countertop looks like a rainbow exploded into colorful shards. We are so lucky to have such a variety available to us on a regular basis.

Whenever I look at all this luscious fruit, I can't help but recall my childhood when we canned and froze dozens of jars and freezer bags (yes, bags, not sacks) to store the abundance of summer to enjoy during the long winter months.

The next time you savor a delicious piece of fruit, think about what memories it evokes. Do you remember the first time you had an exotic fruit, for example? I'd love to hear what memories you recall.

Viva le fruit! lol

2 comments:

JeannetteLS said...

Seedless grapes. I spend a good deal of time writing memories, as do you. And I'm collecting them for a memoir, but am enjoying the PROCESS of writing. ANYWAY, the fruit.

For my family, it was grapes. The symbol of "tailgate" lunches at the beach on "the Island" and "the Lake." All the families had station wagons and my family brought the grapes, One brought the plums, and another brought whatever other fruit that was particularly seasonal--strawberries, at first, then blueberries, then peaches. I loved getting the one seedless grape that had seeds and spitting them at my brother. Yes, well... I loved the pop of fruit in the mouth when you pierced the skin. The burst of sweetness. Yup. Grapes.

Beth (Elizabeth) LaMie said...

Jeannette,
I am so glad to hear you are enjoying the memory writing process! That is like having icing on the cake.

By the way, I tried the trick of using a paper cone in a jar to catch the fruit flies. I don't see any inside the jar, but fortunately I don't see any flying around either.

Enjoy all the fruits of the seaon and especially enjoy the memories they evoke.